Kelly's Cancer Gift and it's Daffodil Day.

 
The Sun Shines on the Righteous. 


With my cancer tumour in my gut now for 24 weeks, I figured it was time to introduce it to another positive force, namely the Gary Kelly Cancer Support Centre. I have only heard nothing but beautiful things about this entity, so why leave it so long to visit? That's an excellent question (I just asked myself) and to be frank (as I am), I have no definitive answer. If I push deep enough, I'm feeling that I want to walk in the opposite direction of my cancer. Perhaps my mind was putting it in the same box as a hospital ? Quiet possible. 

The Gary Kelly Cancer Support Centre is situated in Georges Street, Drogheda, Co. Louth. It is a support centre for people living with cancer, their families and thoses who care for them. The centre offers holistic and complementary therapies, education and psychological support which is nowadays regarded as part of standard support for people with cancer. The centre is open to people on the island of Ireland. All therapies and supports are free of charge.

The centre is committed to providing a safe and holistic sanctuary of reflection, retreat and recovery. The centre is a non-referral service and an appointment is not necessary.

Gary Kelly was a professional footballer at Leeds United F.C. and has represented Ireland at International level. Gary donated three quarters of a million euro, part proceeds of his Testimonial match held 7th may 2002 at Leeds United F.C., to a cancer related project in Drogheda, and a quarter of a million to a teenage Cancer Trust in Leeds. Many local businesses in Drogheda and surrounding area matched Gary’s generosity by donating time, material and labour to the project.

I called them up on the telephone the week before last. A very friendly ladies voice took my details and minutes later, I'm set up for an appointment last Monday. With it's own private (off street) carpark, I arrived in good time. My very first impressions was the warmth of this beautiful well maintained building, and I mean that in every sense of the word and that includes both the property and the personnel. 

Speaking of which, I'm greeted and welcomed into the property and offered a drink. Just  five minutes later and I meet Aileen, a qualified oncology nurse, but Aileen was a tad more than that. As we chatted and as Aileen took notes, I was struck on how well versed and informed this lady was. As we nattered away, I quickly realised on how acutely aware this person was on my mindset, where it has been but more importantly for me, where it's going. I could also readily indentify with Aileen's advise and suggestions. Minutes later and I am given a very pleasant tour of the whole building. 

There is no surer thing, the Gary Kelly Support Centre is indeed a very special place. I will certainly drop in for a treatment, sooner than later. I also offered to give some voluntary I.T courses, be it on Internet, Social Media or even online payments / banking training, where my PayPal expertise can be pulled upon. It was only after I was telling this to one of my inlaws, when they start smiling, looked me in the eye and said:

"But Aidan, remember you are the person that's got this illness, your're the patient". 

Hmmm, point made and taken, but I know, just know I would get a kick out of doing this, so that offer is still open, if the centre of course wish to accept it. 

----------------------------------------------------------


 


Did you know that the Daffodil Day concept originated in Canada six decades ago. The Canadian Cancer Society began using the daffodil in the 1950s. You see, the Canadians caught on to a very surreal symbol, expecially where Cancer in concerned. The Daffodil is known as the first flower of spring. It has proven an iconic symbol of hope and cancer research & awareness since, and has indeed become the logo of cancer societies around the world. 

Did you also know that the Irish Cancer Society was founded by the late Professor Austin Darragh, officially coming into existence in 1963. Professor Darragh, a well known local resident of Tara, just 10 minutes drive down the road from Dunshaughlin, was inspired to start the society after being shocked by a statistic that 100 people in Ireland died each year from curable skin cancer, simply because they did not have the knowledge or information available to know when to seek treatment. 

If you are reading this blog in Ireland and you are out and about tomorrow, please do spare a few €uros for this most worthy cause. I know there is plenty of worthy causes (and there is), but if you can, keep this one in your thoughts for Friday. 



Have a great weekend everybody. 


 

 
         (Click email address to say hello, securely).






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake, Rattle and Roll

A good mannered daughter, holding the hammer and a limerick pops up.

The magic of Mondovi with the Spirit of Saint Pio.